The "soft sell" really isn't selling at all....

"Nobody cares about the fast car or the diamond necklace in the commercials. They care about the cool guy driving, or the sophisticated woman wearing the necklace."

While writing out some help for someone, I decided to steal a snippet of what I wrote to share with y'all.

I first got into Social Media because of blogging. Since I write better than I speak, Social Media gave me the ability to speak to people without nerves or reservation.

At the time, It gave me the opportunity to talk about antiques and "junking" and gave me an audience that wanted to know everything about me and "my treasures".  But it wasn't just the antiques or knick-knacks I found, it was "Why I love my big, lumbering Trailblazer when I go to estate sales" and "I think Frankie's Cafe is the perfect place to brunch before going antiquing" or "Let me tell you about my frustration restoring this old cabinet with silver handles, and now let me share the best cleaning methods for tarnished antiques" 

It was EVERYTHING about the process. When someone read my blog, they didn't just identify with the message I was trying to convey, they identified with the writer (me).  If they can identify with the reader, it makes it easier to "buy in" to whatever my vision/product/service is.

These days, there are so many more avenues to Social Media than just blogger. Snap, YT, FB Live, Instagram Stories. But the goal is the same. Sell yourself first, and everything else just falls into place.

Speak with authenticity about the things you want to talk about. Love the Paranormal? Then talk about why, and what your goals are. Maybe talk about a pet peeve, or a trend that worries you in the community. Love creating things? Talk about your favorite tool, and why that tool works for YOU. Trying to sell something like a service or product? Talk about WHY that service or product is important to you, the effects it's had on your life, even share some of the things you wish could be improved on.

Creating content that people can relate to and then see value in is key in growing an audience, and then customers.

Comments

Popular Posts