What's on my craft table?

It's been UNBEARABLY hot the past week or so...

The temperature isn't that bad, but the humidity makes it incredibly stuffy.  You go outside and you feel like you're suffocating.

So Ben and I have been taking it easy inside with the air conditioning and a fan.

Well, I always have to be doing something, but couldn't figure out what to do.

I'm not actively buying yarn this year, I've been on a relative "stash diet" and wanting to work down what yarn i do have into a manageable amount.  Well, you know what I've realized about my yarn stash?  I'm a sucker for bright, impractical colors and "novelty" yarns.  None of which are really useable for quick projects, or projects I feel like working on in this heat.

So, I had to get creative.

I found a crochet magazine with a pattern for old doily sachets.... It was a cute pattern, but I wasn't sure about sachets just yet...

I did need a new cozy for my cell phone, since my boss doesn't want to see my phone on my desk. The problem is, how would i make a well-padded cozy that looked cute?

I decided to follow the pattern, but add a few creative touches to it!

First, the pattern called for both crochet, and fabric.  Luckily, I had a few scraps of HIDEOUS fabric laying around from a project last year.



I'm a terrible seamstress, but I managed to get it into a bag shape.  Once sewn, I tried to figure out how to add some sort of padding, as well as water resistance.  I tend to spill sodas on my desk, and sometimes when the boss catches me off guard (probably because I'm listening to music with my phone), my phone drops.

I didn't have any water resistant material, but, I had some 100% Wool felt (very thick and supportive):



 and i had a plastic Bread Bag!


I stitched these inside the Hideous fabric.


Well, I got all this done, but I still had to do all the crocheting.... Luckily, that wasn't too hard for me. Since the sachet pattern had a border, I just added some extra stitches at an end and turned the border pattern into a little handle.  Check out the finished project!

Close-up of Doily Pattern

I know it's a little shorter than my phone, but I used tight stitches near the top and managed to make it snug! Luckily, it holds a phone, headphones, and a pack of gum really well!



Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts