My top #3 Thrifty Cures for the "Winter-Blahs".

It's officially November.  Not because the temperature here in Southeastern VA has dropped below 50 degrees (in the evenings), but because this weekend, everyone in my household started to feel yucky.

Even Bender Oak had a warm noise and was grumpy...
Bender Curled up on my Shabby little Duvet Cover (thrifted from my friend Skip!).
Usually, when things get sniffles n' sleepy in my household, it means it's cold season.

To fight off the chill, the "Blahs" and the droll of shorter, darker days, I have a few Cure-Alls:

1.  HOT CHOCOLATE - Coffee's great, but not when I'm trying to relax.  I recently fell back in love with Hot Chocolate.  The cheap, run of the mill, every grocery store has it, Hot Chocolate.  You can throw one in your purse if you need a pick me up at work, or you can make one super quick before everyone else gets home if you need a quick moment.



I scored a super awesome, Big Old School Starbucks Mug (it's larger than the bowls in my house!) from the thrift shop.  I had to have it.  And I had to put Hot Chocolate in it!

I also picked up a set of Silver-plated Spaghettios brand spoons.  I guess back in the day, Spaghettios was something high end.  Seriously, these spoons are details, well made, and SILVER!  I just think it's hilarious that if I tried to resell these spoons, I could get 6-7 cans of Spaghettios for the price of one spoon.


2.  Take Care of your Self!  Along with Vitamin D, and moderate stretching on cold mornings, be sure you add a few extra things to your daily routine.  When the winter comes, I increase my Banana intake, and I also give myself a low cost, organic, and Pocket Friendly Face Treatment.


A recent documentary has been put on Netflix about Dr. Bronner's Magical Soap.  I love this stuff, and it's amazing how far a tiny bottle will go.  I have a little 2 oz. bottle, and it's going to last my face and the CheapGeek all winter.  While Dr. Bronner made sure he could stuff as many "Fact Truths" as he could on the lovely, vintage label of this old school Castille Soap, you can find out more information here.



When my face get's yucky, dry, and dull, I use the following recipe to wake things up, and freshen up my Winter Complexion!



1.  2-3 Teaspoons of Baking Soda.
2.  1 Teaspoon of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap.
3.  A couple of drops of warm water.

Wet your face with very warm water.  Combine all these ingredients in the palm of your hand until you create a loosely combined batter (think the directions for biscuits!).
Apply in a circular motion to forehead, moving towards the scalp.
Apply in a circular motion on cheeks, toward your nose.  Apply on nose in an upward fashion.
Be sure to get your chin, sides of face, and onto your neck, keep with the circular motion.

Rinse thoroughly with luke-warm to warm water (not too hot).  The baking soda can stick to very rough skin.
Note:  In the summer, you can trade out the Peppermint for Dr. Bronner's Almond or Lavendar for a relaxing Spa like experience!
Do this weekly.  Don't go over that, you will definitely dry your skin out!

3.  LAUGHTER.  The movie industry just got done with Scary Halloween, and we can forsee a bunch of depressing news and crappy movies the next couple weeks until Christmas....  Take some time to find something to make you laugh, smile, etc...

Me?  I went to Tumblr and found everything tagged with "#LOL"... I also found some amusement with a silly figurine I got at the Thrift Shop!


Yep,  when I first bought it, I thought it was just a cute bunny figurine.  I've had it for a while, but I just recently realized what was going on.  When I did, I laughed, both at the figurine, and at myself for being so dense!

("I Heart Vegetables Carrot" brought to you by ButtonArcade.com)

Well, I hope these suggestions help ya'll.  Since everyone in my house has a Winter Cold, I'm gonna get to scrubbin' (my face) and get to drinkin' (Hot Chocolate, Silly!).

Thanks for reading!

- Posted using BlogPress from my Pretentious Phone Device.

Also shared on:
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Wallet-Friendly Wednesdaylife rearranged

Comments

Carrie said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you! My skin gets soo dry! Can't wait to give these a try! I would be delighted if you would link this post to Spa{ahhh} Sundaze! (http://www.projectpossessed.com/spaahhh-sundaze/spaahhh-sundaze-116/)

Your newest GFC follower!
Gail said…
I will try your soap concoction to keep me face moist this upcoming winter.
Ordinary Hiker said…
Hi Gail and Carrie! I'll be sure to link up! Thanks so much for reading, I love that people are interested in my blog.
Chris said…
Hi Omi, thanks for the tips and the chuckles. Sorry to hear that the family and the doggie are feeling yucky. Get well soon. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

Popular Posts