My first article on Examiner.com: I'm an Arts & Crafts Journalist!

So, I've been a little quiet the past week, mostly because I've been working on something potentially useful in my long term goals.

I have just been assigned the role of the "Arts and Crafts Examiner" for Norfolk, Virginia!

My first article has been approved, and is now live on Examiner.com , Check it out here:

Local yarn shops need to turn up the heat on crafty holiday shoppers

It was really hard coming up with a first topic.  I'm very crafty, and I love wandering around craft stores.  But I needed a local topic that would apply to local readers, and also be a "hot topic" for everyone.

Well, the economy is still tight, people want to enjoy their crafts, and people also want to support local businesses.  Unfortunately, doing all of those is hard, and fortunately for me, instant topic!

We all want to support our local community.  But buying locally usually means spending extra money.  Retail mark-up for brick and mortar stores makes it hard for people living paycheck to paycheck, or living on a very strict budget.  What makes this super hard is for artists on a budget, who are often inspired randomly, spur of the moment.  The need to act out on your inspiration and get your creativity out before it vanishes in a dream, or in your gas tank burns unbelievable.

While this was an excellent topic to write about, I needed to tie it into the area I live in, and that's where it was  extremely challenging for me.  I only managed to find 4 stores that wanted to cooperate, but only two of them took the time to work with me and help me develop my article.  I'd like to thank Coordinated Colors Yarn Shoppe in Yorktown, and also Knitwits in Virginia Beach.  Both of these shops had lovely, Web Culture Savy, and proactive employees that took the time to help me out.

I'm very happy to have written this article, and plan to write future articles as soon as I get more into "writer mode" and brush up on my AP style skills, lol.  My long term goal is to write full time, maybe become a "cross country Examiner, lol".

Oh, and please click on this article, and share it with your friends.  The more "reads" I get, the more likely it is I'll make some money off this writing gig, :) !

PS:  If you'd like to write for the Examiner, click HERE.  Yes, it's a referral link, but it's easy to be accepted by Examiner if a fellow Examiner refers you.

Comments

Popular Posts