One Hobby, leads to another... Part Deux.

So, amidst my busy and hectic life, I've been spending my spare moments outside with Bender Oak the Dog.  So that I don't feel like I'm just wasting the day, I've taken up the hobbies of Geocaching and Letterboxing.


I've really started to fall in love with Letterboxing, because it's a combination of the things I love.  Walking around in or near nature/interesting places, and crafts!

Most letterboxers carve their "Signature Stamp".  A stamp that identifies them and is used when you visit different letter boxes.

After my first letterbox, I was amazed at all the other personalized stamps I saw.

I wanted to do my own, but I wasn't really sure how.  Also, I've never carved or drawn anything before.

Luckily, Atlasquest (a North American Letterboxing community) has a Stamp Carving 101 tutorial posted on their site.  This Tutorial is a great start for any beginner, and there's even safe instructions for Kids!


Well, I didn't have all the supplies normally recommended, so I had to improvise.


I bought a couple of packs of erasers from our local Dollar store.  I bought plain Pink Erasers, and I also bought some higher end White Erasers.

I knew I wanted an Earthy logo that encompassed both Me and Bender Oak while out on the trails.  But I can't draw.  I did a search on the internet for some Royalty Free Clip Art, and found a picture of an Oak Leaf.
  
I managed to doodle a little Paw Print inside the Leaf.

I didn't have a Lino-Cutter, so I used the CheapGeek's Kobalt cutting kit.  It's an inexpensive, and very sharp kit picked up from Lowe's.

   

After tracing the Leaf onto the Eraser, and some quiet carving and cutting, I came up with this:


It looked kinda funky, so I tried stamping it out.


I'm pretty proud of myself right now.  It's a cute little oak leaf, and my inexperience carving helped create a very unique and rustic stamp!

Now off to make my mark on some Letterboxes!  Let's get stomping through the woods and stamping through some pages, Lol.

Thanks for reading guys!

Comments

Popular Posts