One Hobby, leads to another... Part 1.

One of the last times I went Geocaching,  I had a terrible time dialing in on where the Geocache was, and ended up unsuccessful in finding the Geocache.

It was odd, as my GPS wouldn't dial in on the supposedly correct coordinates, and it got to the point where I just had to start using my basic knowledge of Geocaching and Treasure hunting to find the cache.

Well, I didn't, but I did find something else.


(One of the many things I found other than the Geocache.  An Easter Egg some children missed, eaten by some forest creature.  Silly Forest Creature, not understanding this weird plastic contraption with Candy.)

Tucked under a log, hidden by a Magnolia Bush, was a box, and in that box, some Art paper, and a Stamp.  It looked like this little treasure might be a Geocache, but it wasn't.  It was a Letterbox, and inside that letterbox, instructions to go to AtlasQuest to learn more.

Letterboxing is similar to Geocaching, and has a rich history in the UK.  It's been brought over here to the US, and slightly changed into a unique Treasure-hunting, clue-finding, smaller scale hobby.  Letterboxing is often less "Coordinates dependent" and utilizing more about finding clues, observing your surroundings, and having some familiarity of either the area, or the Letterboxer's psychology.

Around here, most Letterboxers are Family oriented, so it's a good, slow way for me and Bender Oak to enjoy a day out.

You can find more information at Letterboxing.org, which is a North American Letterboxing community, or AtlasQuest, another popular Letterboxing site that I like and seems to be updated regularly.

Well, I wanted in on this, so, what did I need?

For starters, I needed a Stamp.  Letterboxers often hand-carve stamps using stamping material from an Art Shop.  Well, I wasn't sure abot this, so I used some Stamps I had laying around.


 
  I needed some Ink, and a Stamping Journal.


So, I grabbed some ink from an old crafting project I had, and put it in a Resealable bag, so it wouldn't leak.

A Stamping Journal?  Well, it would have to be pretty, and it would need to have blank, unlined pages.


I had an old Journal Laying around, so I decided to embellish it with some Bender Oak and Nature themes.


  I've now learned that this may have not been the best journal to use, but more on that later.

And now, a stylish Vintage way to store my new Letterboxing kit!


It's an old, worn, and well used Leather Toolbag from Klein Tools.  We had one in the back of our VW when I was little, and even back then, it was old.


I thought with it's distressed and natural appearance, it would make the perfect container for my letterboxing kit.  I'm rather happy that my love of Geocaching with Ben has turned me to another hobby, which required me to use my other crafty hobbies to get going!


Now all I need is a place to take Ben and Go Letterboxing.  But where?



Also Shared on:




 Keeping It Simple

Making



Comments

D+B said…
Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
Thanks,
Brooke

Popular Posts