Letterboxing and Geocaching - Oak Grove Park

So, despite my ability to mislead us throughout Chesapeake, and failing to read my Car GPS correctly, I managed to take our little adventuring crew to Oak Grove Park, in Chesapeake for our First Official Letterboxing adventure.

It was awfully busy, probably because of the great weather (warm, but not too warm), and a decent breeze.  It was the type of beautiful day that everyone, Humans, Animals, even Robots, could appreciate.


I started down the path with Bender and K, holding a phone with the Letterboxing app open, and a notebook with all the nearby Letterbox Clues.  This was a bit cumbersome, so there aren't many pictures of me... And this has also caused me to try and think of new ways to document my little adventures.  It's hard to get good content when your holding a Camera, a GPS device/phone, Paper, and a Dog leash in your hands.

We stopped near the first Letterbox, and admired some Artwork.


Near this little spot, after digging through some brush and counting some clues, I grabbed the first letterbox.  Here's what a letterbox looks like in America:

 

 

It looks a lot like a Geocache, which, oddly enough, we also found in Oak Grove Park:

 

The contents of a Letterbox usually have a water tight baggie with a journal in it, a stamp, and sometimes, a pencil.


The Log had a bunch of really neato signature stamps from other Letterboxers.

 


And now, it was our turn to stamp a page.


We didn't have any hand carved or self designed stamps, so I used a collection of old stamps I've had in my scrapbooking case to do up a little collage.  It's cute, but, man, those hand carved stamps everyone else has, that's was cool.  It made me really wanna go home and start checking out how I could make myself a stamp.

The group of Letterboxes in Oak Grove Park actually had a theme.  The theme captured the essence of the park, having playground equipment for Kids, and a great Dog Walk.


It was getting late, so I decided to stamp our last stamp, and go home.



Now that I've had my first adventure Letterboxing, I want more.  And I really want to know how to make my first stamp....  I don't really have any experience drawing or carving, so I'm really curious as to how to accomplish carving a stamp like all these cool letterboxers have.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Comments

Apryl said…
I have never head of letterboxing but that looks really awesome. What a fab day out.
Unknown said…
Hey
I just got into geocaching, letterboxing sounds intriguing. Thank you for the handmade stamp suggestion. The cache logs I've found had personalized stamps and I really admired them. I really enjoy your most excellent blogs. Our blog (my dog Zelda's actually) is a journal of what she thinks about as my running coach.

Popular Posts