Geocaching and Photography in Suffolk, VA Historic District

My friend JT wanted to sharpen his photography skills, and the CheapGeek n' I decided that would be a good chance to get away from the normal Huba-baloo and go off to take some pictures some place different.

Suffolk is the farthest away you can get from the VA Beach area but still see "city type stuff".  What was once a rail stop, a place for African Americans to stop along their way to freedom, and a port city, has quietly turned into a quaint, pretty area with bits of modern tucked throughout.  It's awfully pretty, and quiet.

Due to all the History, and relative driving distance, Suffolk has little bits of history still standing, and anything really old, well, they build or establish a museum around it.  And right across the street from "whatever", you'll find a McDonalds.  But unlike some places, it generally feels like all the modern conveniences are toned down, and not so glaring/eye-sore.  Even this:


Seemed pretty to me.  Seriously.


This duck has it made.  I wanna just sit on the pier all day waiting for a boat.  Or some crawfish.


Yes, I'm envious of a Duck....Cus lately, I been sitting around like Moss on a Rock...


Just sitting around...being a crusty, old barnacle.


So it's a good thing we drove around a bit, and even went Geocaching!

Photography + Geocaching = Good Weekend.


I've started to learn that Geocaching is a lot like anything else, don't forget that people and things have a "normal" pattern, and overlook the obvious because you're thinking about what you would do.  I assumed at this one Geocaching location (especially with clues), that the Geocache would be in a spot I thought would be awesome.  But no, it took me by surprise, and ended up being in another, "more down to earth" location.


And I got super mad when I failed to find a Geocache in Suffolk.  So mad, that all I can do is be polite and take a nice picture of it:



And my favorite Pic:



I was so angry at this Geocache, because it's set in such a beautiful, open area, yet I could not zone in on it and find it.  After reading the notes, I realized the coordinates were way off, but in the end, I decided to give it a go some other day....  At least I was able to go out in the open and take some decent pictures that day with the CheapGeeks's 20d camera.

That's all for now.  Next Stop, Cedar Hill Cemetary (Suffolk, VA)!




Comments

Popular Posts