Back from a Quick Trip... With My First Knit Sock!

Please excuse the brevity of this post... We just got back from Black Mountain, and I'm so tired... But I just wanted to share this!

Yep! I finally produced my first knit sock! It took me 2 1/2 days to actually knit, but over a year to actually produce, as I've had so much difficulty this year producing successful knit projects.




Despite being terribly loose (gaps in between stitches) in a few places, and totally messing up Kitchener Stitch, I think I did pretty well.




I made this with my favorite yarn (Malabrigo) and I'll be starting the second one tomorrow morning! I'm just so excited though, because I accomplished a big goal of mine that has been bugging the heck out of me!

Two reasons I haven't finished a pair of socks:

1.  I've had a hard time finding a pattern I could understand that didn't use sport weight or below...I wanted to be able to under stand the construction quickly, without getting lost in monotony while working on a long section...I wanted a worsted weight pattern, that wasnt written +45 years ago...

2.  I can't seem to grasp the concept of magic loop, even with the support of a $15 book, and my friends Liz & Deva... My brain just couldn't seem to get the hang of it... So I picked up Double points, and searched for a pattern that used clear, concise directions for DPN's...

I found one!

It's a free pattern, called Irish Wellington Socks. I recommend everyone check it out (click here).  I love this pattern.  It was written well, designed to use Worsted/Aran weight Wool Yarn, and without intimidating me using lots of technique, yet produces a pretty lovely, warm sock.  And a warm boot sock is something you need in the Mountains of Carolina!

Okay, I'm off to bed now... Now that I'm back home from a quick trip, stay tuned for some more great posts.

- Posted using BlogPress from my Pretentious Phone Device.

The Girl Creative Keeping It Simple

Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats on making your first sock. I remember how excited I was when I overcame my mental block of a heel turn.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the helpful post! I would not have gotten this otherwise!
Anonymous said…
О! Lovely scharfe Post. Hätte nie gedacht, dass es so einfach war. Hinsicht auf Sie!

Popular Posts