Thrift Shop Finds - Not Everything I buy from the Thrift Shop is Old, but it's Precious.

(Here's the post and the pictures me and Bender were trying to get the other day)....

When I was a broke teenager, I used to live down at the "The OceanFront" in Virginia Beach, VA.  It's a grey, tired, Tourist Trap of an area that doesn't seem to be sunny unless you're the tourist visiting the place....  It's a very old Boardwalk, and many of the buildings have turned into little boutiques and Gift Shops.

There were these two Boutiques I used to love going into.  One sold Hippie/New Age/Gypsy looking stuff, and the other was a flat out Head Shop that my little brother used to drag me into all the time.  Both were over-priced, dark, and full of questionably odd items of unknown origin.

The Hippie/New Age/Gypsy shop always sold really pretty jewelry, gifts, and clothes, but again, Broke Teenager.  They used to have this beautiful table in the corner, with a faux Victorian Lamp, underneath the lamp, a tray of big Hippie pendants/bracelets that glowed under the lamp's light.  I loved that table, so much.  The table was blue, with a Child's Dream of the Night Sky on the table top, and friendly, Bedtime Blue and Star Yellow Legs.

When I "grew up", I found out that shop wasn't doing so well, that the owner's told everyone they were liquidating and moving down to Florida (I guess there's less Lookie-Lou's and Broke Teenagers).  I went in to see if their Liquidation resulted in any good sales.

By the time I got there, the place was kinda empty, and nothing had really been marked down.  However, there was a price tag on everything.  Wall Fixtures, the super strong jewelry cases that kept thieves out (which happened a lot), even the coat hangers the now-sold clothes used to hang from on the walls.

Since any of the clothes and jewelry I wanted were gone/still ridiculously overpriced, I saw that the table was in the corner, and walked over to it.  It was worn, and some scratches in the top, and seem to be less sturdy now that the Victorian Lamp was gone.

"I don't see a price tag on this, could you tell me, is it for sale?"

"Yes!  We're really trying to move stuff along, so it's for sale.  It was, $500, but how about $300?"

Needless to say, that was a terrible price.  What am I, a Tourist?  (Plus, don't people realize, Tourists are only Tourists when they are on vacation.  It's not like when they leave their Hometown, they forget their Check Ledger or how much anything costs.  But I digress).

Fast forward 11 years later.

I stop in at a junk shop.  Flat out Junk and Thrift, Pick and it's yours, either you buy this or we use it for kindling store.  I walk in, and it' doesn't look promising at all.... But, I wander to the back.


Oh My God.

"Hey Little Lady, you sure do like that table.  I see you in your head going 'That table is mine!"

"I like it, it's pretty cool.  How much for the table and this book?"

  
"I'll let you have the Table & the Book for $6, and I'll help you load them."

"I'll take the table for $4, and you throw in the book for $1."

Guess what I have?


The table is by Retro Vogue, and turns out, seems to be signed by a company I barely find any info on.


So, I got the Table of my dreams, and I...


Sure as hell didn't break the Bank.  I'm pretty happy right now.   

Even though I had to wait a decade to get this table, it just goes to show that every trip to the local Junk Shop or Thrift Shop doesn't have to be a quest to find your next "Antique RoadShow" treasure.  I've found useful every day stuff (ask me about Le Creuset), and just regular things I totally treasure.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow! i grew up in the same area:) i went to Gang Run:) it is sooo cool that you found the table and got it for 4 bucks! what a deal!
Nancy McCarroll said…
Oh, Omi. What a wonderful story and outcome. There are NO coincidences in this small world of ours. So glad you got that unique table...you give, and then you get.

Am writing about your generous donation you sent me today in a post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Smiles and love, Nancy
Debbie T said…
Love that table and the fact that you finally scored it for a mere $4...that is just flippin' awesome!!!! I love thrift stores! Congratulations and I hope you get to enjoy your new 'treasure' for many years to come!
Ordinary Hiker said…
Thanks everybody! It makes me so happy, my only problem right now is I have no place to put it. I've been moving furniture around for the past couple of days trying to find a spot for it. I might be putting it in my Boyfriend's Daughters room. She loves blue, and like her dad, appreciates the Celestial Sun/Moon/Stars design (my Boyfriend LOVES the table).

Popular Posts