Mountain Spirit Cards & Gifts and the Bona-Fide Bakery Pet Shop



When I went down to Black Mountain, Greg's Sister-in-Law had mention there was a new yarn shop in Down-Town Black Mountain, so I really, really wanted to go.  I like tourist-type places, but since I'm trying to watch my money these days, I've been avoiding Touristy impulse shopping situations.

My Boyfriend and I wandered around, but since it was the 4th of July, most places had closed or closed early.  The Black Mountain Yarn Shop, in the heart of downtown, was closed, so I'm gonna have to go back sometime and check them out....I love the idea of a yarn shop in the heart of such a pretty area.  I hope their nice!

We stopped in at a Rock Shop, New Earth ,which was very pretty and New Age.  They had a few interesting fossil thingies, and we purchased some beads for the Bus.

When I first got BenderOak, I went to the Bona-Fide Bakery & Boutique, but it was really nice to stop in there again.  You know that wonderful, deep, yummy smell that happens when you walk into your local bakery?  That's the same experience for any Dog (or Kitty) when they skip their little paws into this completely adorable pet shop.



 This slightly high-end Pet Boutique carries great pet accessories from well-known companies, smaller businesses, and food from local Pet Bakers.  We got a couple of cute bumper stickers for the bus, and a small cookie jar's worth of treats for Mr. Bender.  I don't normally pay 2.50 for a Lollipop, but when it's got healthy yogurt frosting, Elk jerky, and Oatmeal for Ben-Ben, and it smells so good I want to eat it, then I'm spilling my cash, LOL.

In fact, here's a little Pet-Testimonial from Bender:



Around the corner from the Rock Shop was a little shop tucked away on the first floor of the shop complex.  We weren't sure what it was, and since I was on a mission to find postcards, we started to turn away, when the shop owner, Ms. Kate Shawgo hurried past us to take care of something, turned quickly and said:

 "Don't Be Scared! There's no actual Spirits in there!  It's okay to go in!"

Not realizing that we looked like the type of people easily spooked by New Age or Metaphysical Names, we turned back toward the shop, and peered into Mountain Spirit Cards & Gifts.

We stepped into a very cute, well decorated shop that could easily be mistaken for what I would consider My "Dream Scrapbooking/Paper Ephemera studio".  Cards weren't just lined up in little Greeting Card shelves, they had their own bookshelves, counters, hang racks, even mish-mash piles (well organized and neat piles, mind you).  Cards, little momentos, Handmade Soap, Cute last-minute Gifts, and YARN AND DISHCLOTHES are the staple of this little, tucked away store.

Completely Beautiful Cards, and some of them are designed and created locally by Ms. Kate's friends! I picked up a cute one with a Brown Bear picking rocks out of it's toes and scratching it's foot.



Ms. Kate and her lovely dog Bella Joy moved down to Black Mountain a few years ago after her mother fell ill. As a direct result, Ms. Kate inherited a large stash of cotton yarn, created by the very nearby Pisgah Yarn & Dyeing company. Originally, she decided to share her Mother's stash and a few comfort-knitted dishclothes produced by her and her mother for a couple of dollars, donating proceeds of the sales to local Hospices.



The Pisgah Yarn & Dyeing Company found out, and now assists Ms. Kate in stocking a modest, yet vibrant selection of cotton yarn.  I've always said it, but I'll say it again, Dish Clothes are a wonderful gifts: They make great comfort knitting/crocheting for difficult times, and everyone can use a cotton dishcloth/washcloth.  After learning about Ms. Shawgo's story, I'm now more in love with Pisgah Yarn.

Tucked away behind the Sales Desk was a pet bed, with a rather sleepy pup named Bella.  At first, I didn't see her, but she made some cute sleepy noises while I was sniffing some Goat's Milk Soap.  "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie", so I didn't want to bother her.

But was I in for a treat.  Miss Bella, Official "Doggess" of the shop, put on some of her wonderful Doggy Fineries and let us take some pictures!  Check out this very Dashing Dog and her Human:




I encourage you to stop in at Mountain Spirit Gifts on Cherry Street. For a few dollars, you can get an original, beautiful card, Far better than any small trinket available at any ol' Tourist trap in Carolina. And before you leave, be sure to give Bella a tip in the Doggy Bowl by the Door. Miss Bella "Works Hard for the Monies", and your Kindess will be rewarded with Warm Thoughts, and Amazing Doggy Tricks n' Treats!

Thank you Bella Joy and Thank you so much Ms. Kate!

Comments

Popular Posts