Knitting Knight~!

This weekend my friend's had a Knit Night.... I'm shy, I barely leave the house for social events as it is, and I really really dig it when my friends are able to get together and go knit, crochet, craft, etc...I totally missed it since I had to work.

Originally, I didn't understand why people wanted to pack up their project and the instructions, drive someplace else, get set up and comfortable wherever that place was, possibly pay $8 for a cup of coffee, knit for two hours, totally mess up on the pattern instructions, mess up again while your talking to someone, rip back their project, then drive all the way home and spend the next two days trying to figure out what happened on your project.

                                         See?  Totally forgot what I was doing there...Oh...Wait...Hrm.

But it's been a long held tradition for women to get together and sit and sew, quilt, knit, etc...  And it's great!  There really is something to having a small community of chicks together to craft, and you find that it's easier to find a common ground with people when you're already sharing a common interest.  Plus, if your shy or have moments of awkwardness, you can work on your project for a little bit.

I think more people should have a Knit Night or Craft Night....And if you're a lone crafter amongst your peers, start one.  If you don't know anyone is interested, start going to different craft nights.  You'll notice it'll be alot like Middle School/High School.  You're gonna have to go to several different Knit/Crochet/Craft meetings till you find one that fits.  I felt kinda trapped about two years ago, I had a couple of craft meetings I could go to, but didn't really "mesh" with the group, or meetings kept changing to days I had to work.  It takes a while, and you don't have to stick with a group if you don't like the group.  That's like sticking with an annoying friend of a friend just because you have a friend in common, or a lame boyfriend.  You get the point.

My Group?  Well, I totally dig everyone.  Their awesome, and I've got a little bit in common with all of them.

(Pics from the last craft night on 5/13)

I listen to some podcasts where the podcaster says Knit Night is a great place to ask for help.  I admire that person for having such a great memory and being able to mentally log a challenging project in her head as well as trying to learn and apply whatever she needed help with.  I had to learn that I can't bring a Filet crochet shawl, since most people don't do crochet, much less Filet.  I try not to bring something too difficult, otherwise, I'll mess it up.  Unless it's something that everyone already knows, that I don't.  Like my Socks that Have yet to be finished....Since everyone knows how to knit these, and I don't, its a great way for me to make a little progress on these and spend the next couple of weeks appyling what I know.



Plus, everyone's super duper nice.  And after a bad week at work, it's nice to hang out with people that are genuinely nice.


This is Deva Junior.  Don't worry, she wears shoes.  Deva taught my friend Liz how to knit, and now they both teach me knitting stuff.  I'm really liking knitting, but sometimes, no amount of watching Youtube Tutorials or reading books helps me understand knitting.  I need to see it in person.  A couple of months ago, Liz and Deva stayed up till midnight to try and get me to the Heel/Heel Turn.  And we still had to rip back.  Sigh....

Oddly enough, I've finished a sweater, but I haven't finished a sock.


Liz makes socks.  Awesome ones.  I wanna crank out socks like she does.  That's a blanket in her hands.  It's got crazy progress on it.  I'm not sure if I can devote myself to a full blanket, especially watching the process and time Liz has put into this patchwork blanket.

I met a couple of other people at the last craft meeting.  Tonya and Colin.  They are really fun! And hopefully I'll meet some more of them at the next meeting.  The place we met at was awesome too.  It's a little coffee shop out in Norfolk near Little Creek.  The place is decked out like some old hippy chick's living room, and it's one of the few coffee shops in the area that can make a decent chai latte.  

Man....now I'm craving $8 coffee and yarn.  Jeez.


Comments

Popular Posts