You're a Star.



My BF's daughter is having a birthday soon, so I made her a hat.


I made her a hat a while ago, but for Xmas, she wanted a specific, yet slightly indescribable hat.... Out of "big, but not huge" yarn.

Well, I went online, and couldn't find an Aran or Bulky weight yarn in just the right shade (neutral pale Oyster from all the descriptors provided), or, in a fiber that could only be worn between the months of Cold and Too Cold.

I ended up making a joke ha-ha hat that looked more like a tree topper.

I went to the Big-Box craft chain stores, and couldn't find any yarns that I felt good about using.

The other month, while we were all out, she picked out a yarn, LionBrand Jiffy.

Jiffy has been around for decades, and it's made some wonderful items.  Afghans laying in everyone's family room, Knit hats, even cute baby sweaters.  Problem is: it's not very crochet friendly for me, and making fitted items.  I know this isn't everyones opinion, but with the manner in which I crochet, Jiffy Yarn just ends up a big thick, inflexible pile of yarn crocheted together.  With a halo.

Also, I was afraid that it wouldn't work with alot of the crochet patterns I had picked out, and true enough, I just couldn't get gauge and make a simple mesh beret.

A couple weeks ago I went to the chain store Michaels, and found that their cotton blend "Yarn Gang" yarn was on sale/clearance.  I hope it's not being discontinued, because I dig it alot.  It comes in small, well wound skeins, a big array of kid colors and neutrals, and its an easy care blend.  I think its great and just as good as some of the other mainstream cotton blends.

Now, about the pattern.  I went on Ravelry and scoured for a mesh type beret/Tam style hat pattern that made sense, but also didn't cost as much as going out and buying a decent hat (defeats the purpose in my opinion).  I'm more project oriented, so, I'll buy a pattern once, maybe use it twice, and then stick it in my library.  For that reason, I don't like patterns going over $6.00, unless it's from an independent designer, and even then, I need to know the designer writes directions clearly, and I won't be wasting my money.

After spending $10 and hours on free patterns that confused me, I remembered Adorkable Crochet.  I bought a pattern from her a couple of years ago, for a crochet skull.  Because of positive reviews for the pattern, I knew I wouldn't stress about figuring the pattern out or trying to understand the designer's logic.  I was right.  After a few hours, my slow crocheting self managed to make a really cool skull applique for Laurynomaly's scarf.  Adorkable has a few really cool hats, and I messaged her about the pattern for her Starburst Beret.

So, finally having the right pattern, and some decent yarn, I present you with this:







I really hope she likes this hat.  It's not exactly what she wanted, but I think it looks great.  I'll make something with the Jiffy we picked out, I just haven't found the right pattern, and its going on a few months now.  You don't wanna disappoint kids, and I've been actively searching for the right pattern for the Jiffy, something cool, and airy, but not lame.  But it's also lame/frustrating to have to wait for someone to make something nice for you.

Here's a small slide show of the hat:



Comments

Popular Posts