Craft Show Announcement, & The Great HandMade Debate

I've been asked by my stepsister and step-mom to participate in a craft show they are throwing. Jeanne, creates unique jewelry under her small business affectionately called, "My Jewelry" (click on the link for more details about their business).

I made the decision earlier this year that the turn around for crafting for profit is not worth some of the experiences I've had, however, I wanted to support my step-mom, and kinda got drawn in by my stepsister.

This will be a great opportunity for my step-mom, so come out and support her.

I'll be selling some shop and portfolio samples, as well as some small gifts.

For those of you in the knit and crochet world, you'll know, it's extremely short notice, so I will only have a few items available. Here's your chance to pick up a unique crocheted gift (as well as some knitted, needle felted items)!

Another vendor, Tastefully Simple, will also be on hand at the event. If you are a fan of Tastefully Simply products, definitely stop by.

If you are interested in the event, feel free to send me a message, or visit the following link for more details:

My Jewelry December Open House Event!



In the meantime, my stepsister, though not completely familiar with Fiber Arts, has set some expectations on my end. I'm a full grown woman, however, siblings are known to throw food, especially on Thanksgiving, should you fail to live up to ideals.

Not only am I working a normal 40-hour work week at my full time job, but I've done the math, and I'll be putting in a 32-hour unpaid (unpaid was not my suggestion) work week. For a total of 6 hats, 4 sets of organic washclothes, 1 scarf, and if I'm lucky, a baby blanket. So, if anyone would like to tend to my household, walk Bender, post to my blog, maintain my internet persona, and actually listen for me during conversations between my boyfriend or friends and me (since I will be counting rows, attempting Intarsia, and weaving in ends, oh, and Blocking) maybe I can trade you a handmade hat. Anyone that knows how to disassemble a 76' Hi-top Bus gets the first interview.... Though, anyone that wants to do all of those items for me this week, will probably want to get paid more than an 8-20 dollar hat.

I also need to complete a store sample by 12/30/09. Did I mention the store sample is a sweater? With sleeves? I've been told, by someone that says their field of expertise is "Sales", that attempting to charge the cost of labor is not realistic. I've had successful experiences with selling Vintage Goods/Clothing, Antiques, and craft supplies. These experiences have taught me you have to consider the cost of getting, storing, and selling the item. Hand-Made Crafting requires a larger consideration for the hand-made artist and their gift. I am not entirely certain that non-crafters have a good grasp on what it takes to create a hand-made item in any field, and even if they are aware of the general concepts of one type of art, it does not apply to all hand-made artisans.

I think all these reasons are why I decided to get out of the craft for profit business, and move into pattern design as well as one day becoming a recognized Professional through the Crochet Guild of America and Yarn Council. I want to support my step-mom, as I'm really happy she has found happiness in an Art that is both beautiful and attractive to many people, but I'm fairly sure this is gonna be a tough event for me. I'll also need to come up with my own creative designs, or utilize patterns that have an Open Creative Commons License, which I'm not sure many business/sales driven individuals are aware of.

So, this is what my next two weeks are going to look like:




How do you feel about selling your handmade items? Do you feel that with the cost of supplies and the length of time it takes to complete a project, that it is worth it? Do you think there are specific crafts that are more profitable than others? Here's some links that should be accessible to anyone on the web, that may help swing you one way, or the other:

Selling your Handmade Jewerly

Entry Level article on Selling Handcrocheted items


Batch items vs. OOAK (One of a Kind)

The Social Etiquette Question: Handknit Appreciation

I'm looking at it like this: If I create a hat using a pattern that took me 10 hours to design, test, and write (not a pre-existing pattern that I am not license to sell), use boring/less costly supplies, and spend 4 dilligent hours actually crafting a single, basic hat, how much is that worth to you?

Comments

Popular Posts