The Bus Project.

Warning: Okay, before I get a bunch of VW people blasting me with emails calling me a bunch of explicit bad words, I would like to say that I have no idea what I am talking about, and I am not a knowledgeable person when it comes to VW, cars, restoring cars, or even retain an ounce of common sense. This blog is about my life, and what I live. So shut up. I'm learning, and anything I don't know or show my complete ignorance of, I either haven't asked my BF yet, or I have waded through dozens of useless automotive posts (prolly created by you) to find out.

I haven't done much fiber/yarn related stuff lately. I've been unusually tired, and feeling horribly run down. But, there has been plenty going on in the house....

My BF and his buddy in all things "car and headaches-for-women" related adventures brought home a 76' Volkswagen bus this weekend. My boyfriend is a quarter Volkswagen (on his father's side), so I don't have a problem with this. I like VW's, my dad had a bug when I was little that I loved to death, and I always loved the "eyes" on all VW vehicles when I was a kid. Was a little upset about the price, but, it's in really good condition for something older than me, and I'm confident my BF will be able to fix this one up really soon.

This is the bus he brought home:



It's tenative name is "Babe: The Blue Ox". Other name possibilities are "The Blue Goose" or "Goose". If you date or grow up with or are related to anyone that restores cars, you know that alot of people always name their cars/car projects. This thing is huge, and it's blue. It's so big, it has an attic. See:



(Supposedly, you can get a cushion and a kid or small person can sleep up here. I'm a little claustrophobic though. Yeah, that's his other bus in the foreground. His daughter named that one "Ragu").



This is the skylight. I call it a skylight, because a "moonroof" just sounds like something you'd find in a little sports car. The bus is so tall/big, I can actually stand up in it. Which means I am going to stand up in it, and clean all those dead bugs off the window screen.

When I was little, I remember seeing a VW bus that actually had a little kitchen in it. The bus was at a flea market, and the people that owned it used to sell snacks out of it. That's what I think this hole right here is for.




So, if we end up living out of the bus, at least we have a place to put a little sink and some cooking devices. Oh, and there's a closet!




Yep, this closet is the length of my arm. I am pretty sure I won't be able to fit the contents of my vacation duffle-bag in here, but I still think it's really cool. It has little hooks, a hanging rod, and a mirror. The paneling, door, and mirror look really old. I didn't ask if it was original or not, but I like it and I hope I can touch it up.

I do not know anything about restoring cars. I just know that my birth-mom, my dad, and alot of people I grew up around did that sort of stuff. When I got older, a lot of friends started fixing up old cars too. I'd like to as well, however, my extent of mechanical knowledge is that there is a Philips head screwdriver, and a Flathead screwdriver, and that if you ever want to learn to fix anything, Youtube can teach you how NOT to fix something.

With this in mind, my BF has gotten me started in little stuff. Today, I learned about the dash, and pulled the dash off myself. Then we did a quick touch-up and paint job.


I'm sure everyone knows this, but when taking the dash on a VW off, be sure to pop out the little housing for the lights, and the screw/bolt thing that holds the steering wheel. You might want to do that first.




My BF did some touch-up work with the cracks in the dash and then painted it. I'm gonna leave that to him to update his blog about, cus he needs to update.




Paint!





(I do not condone smoking while painting, at all. It's not very classy, or safe. Also, be sure to remove bags of potting soil from other failed projects before taking pictures.)

And, this is what I accomplished today!





I'm fairly proud of me, and my BF, and I'm super excited to be working on a big ol bus on four wheels that has a big area where Ben-Ben can actually lay down and relax. I still have dreams of taking cool trips to places I wanna go in a VW, and this is one step closer to a dream I've had forever...

Comments

Popular Posts