Summer 2009 Crochet Project Round-up!

I took it easy the past few months in regards to Finished Projects. Mostly because I spent a lot of time learning new techniques, taking classes, and then making massive mistakes while learning aforementioned new techniques. However, I was able to get some really cool things finished. Here are some of the Finished or Near Finished projects I am rather proud of. Pictures and Project Notes below:

(For a Larger view of the finished item, click on the pictures)

1. The not so Couture "Walter Milan" Market Bag.




Get it, "Walter Milan"? I'm so corny. Watermelon striped market tote made as a present. This was made using Cascade 109 Bulky. It's a super soft, super bulky wool, and extremely durable (I put a heavy ceramic flower pot in it and it withstood the weight). The bright colors and the down to earth brown made this a pretty cool present for a teenager, and teenagers are always hip with new totes, bucket bags, etc...

2. Antique Cupcake (Cupcake from Debbie Stoller book).

I finally made the Cupcake t-shirt pattern that every crocheter seems to make, however, I had to make some adjustments. It's not exactly an F.O. (Finished Object) yet, but I did want to share it with everyone.



I still need to finish a couple of extra rows on the bottom (almost tunic length) and do the sleeves, but it's turned out really nice. Since the pattern is really simple, I decided this would be the pattern that I learn Bust Shaping. I ain't ashamed to admit it, but I'm about a size 14, however, the top half of me is closer to an 18/20. If I make something that's a 2x, it hangs off me like a rag. Using a shaping article I found in Interweave Crochet, I "winged it" on some short row shaping in the bust area.




I love this project because it's my attempt at wearing more natural colors, along with a victorian, lacy look. I added cables so that I could feed ribbon through under the bust, which adds a stark contrast to the natural, inexpensive cotton used for the top.



3. The Dreaded Courtney Corset Top. Pattern by Robyn Chachula ("BluePrint Crochet")



I fell in love with this top the moment I saw it. There's actually two attempts at completing this sweater, and an awful lot of learning in the process.

I was on gauge for the whole project. But, as you can see on my dress-form, I over estimated the top half by a bust size and a half, also, the project is slightly stiff because of the yarn I used (project calls for 100% Alpaca, I used 100% lightweight wool).

The sweater turned out great, albeit a little too large. I blocked it down a little, but it's still big on me. I am going to make it again, now that I know:

a) Be smart about your yarn substitutions. Wool does not mimic Alpaca, and there are many different types of Wool that will produce specific results. Alpaca/Silk blends do mimic some alpaca, but are a little heavier (and may tug down the bottom of the project).



b) I am not as fat as I think I am. I'm pretty happy that as far as the Knit and Crochet World is concerned, I qualify as an XL. Fantastic.

c) Shaping and Seaming! Side seams and shaping tuck the sweater in for poof at the top and and slimming on the sides. If you ever want to move past boxy patterns and make something you will love and wear forever, you need to learn how to seam, shape, and make adjustments to patterns. The sleeves on this project were intimidating at first glance, but it actually wasn't that hard!!! Be sure to have plenty of pins to pin sections in place. The sleeves get the "poof" and the little pleats by clever stitching.



4. Seaweed and Silt Market Tote.



This was a "me" project, comforting to make and a great learning experience. The stitch layout was simple, but the color and yarn layout took some time.

I love the sea, the moonlit evening sea of every beach I have ever been too. Covered in dark silt and seaweed washing up on the shore. Not every beach is covered in white/yellow/brown sand, especially near the mouth of a river, marsh, or open sea (unlike most areas here in this east-coast bay). The colors in this project remind me of the dingy dirt, silt, new and old seaweed, and the greys of night time.

Using smaller balls of luxury yarns left over from personal projects and commisioned work, this was a great upcycling project that even includes an old GAP t-shirt for lining! Go "Green" (and grey, and dark blue, and charcoal, and teal...) Managing the small amounts of different yarns and attempting to combine sewing and crochet was great fun.



5. The Quick, Last Minute Present. (Another Robyn Chachula Pattern)



Tiny steel crochet hook, DMC cotton embroidery floss, and a few vintage beads or buttons. I've made several of these this year, and using hand-dyed crochet threads from various Etsy sellers and awesome thrift shop jewelry or buttons, this is a staple in my last-minute-presents list.

6. Amigurumi: Graduation Grim Reaper. Grim Reaper from "Creepy Cute Crochet" by NeedleNoodles.


This little guy was going to be a Graduation Zombie at first, but I just really wanted to make a little guy with a grim reaper hood and scythe. Attached a little Graduation Cap, and tadaa! Nothing like graduating high school and getting a little, adorable reminder of mortality!

So, that's about all of the completed Summer Projects. I'm working on some really exciting new finished projects (and hopefully personal patterns) for 2010, and can't wait to share it with everyone.

Keep on crafting!

Comments

Deva said…
I love how you documented everything, Omi. And having seen your 'me' bag in person it is seriously so beautiful - I want one.

Also, you are not fat. Not that off, you are too cute.

Ps what are you doing Sunday?

Popular Posts