Make it for Monday: Letterboxing Necklace

There's quite a few crafty letterboxers and treasure hunters out there, yet I'm always amazed at some of the ideas I come up with trying to combine my hobbies with each other.

I dabble in jewelry.  Mostly because I'm so picky about what I do like to wear, and everything I do craft is usually too delicate for my daily life (tomboy).  Unless it's a beat up vintage spoon ring or a funky brooch, i usually leave it at home.

But I thought about jewelry for Letterboxing and Geocaching.

I'm still working on my Geocaching Jewelry, but I came up with an awesome idea for Letterboxing.

 





I created a super tiny handmade log book using Bristol Art paper and some scrapbooking paper as the "book cover".  To keep the book flaps sturdy, I used paint chips from the hardware store.

During the book making process, I stuck a headpin in the spine.  I did this awhile ago, because I thought it might be useful as a First Finder Prize, but then I realized I could actually wear it.

Then, I stamped the log book with some Cooties I "caught" at the last Letterboxing event I attended.  "Cooties" are little mini stamps that people sneak into your gear when you're not looking!

 

I carved a very simple, small, cootie stamp, and attached it to a silver charm of a Dog pawprint (gotta incorporate my love of Bender in here!).  This was the hardest part, and I plan to experiment more with the adhesive I use.  Maybe try E6000 next time.

 

Combined these with a Letterboxing charm (that also doubles as a Stitch Marker for Knitting/Crochet, lol!)......



 put 'em on a Ribbon Charm necklace, and Voila! Letterboxing necklace!



The funny thing about this is, I've been working on this project every Monday for the past three Mondays, and made no progress till last night when I couldn't sleep.  I've been dwelling on the necklace itself, and the stamp.  Do I want to log people's "cootie stamps" in here?  Should I turn this into some sort of Necklace I always carry with me?  If I do, should I make a nicer stamp for it (Probably)?  And trying to glue the stamp to the bottom of the silver charm was a Royal pain.  The first couple of times, I tried Hot Glue, and that didn't work...I almost cracked the stamp too.

What do you think of the Letterboxing necklace?  Any suggestions/Recommendations?

Also shared on:

Skip To My Lou Keeping It Simple Making

Comments

Getting Hooked said…
This is a GREAT idea! And so pretty! I hope to go planting today... happy letterboxing!
Aunt Bee said…
Such a great idea! Good job! Now I want to make one! =)

Couldn't you just put a hole in the pink stuff & put a ring through it? I know it's not THAT sturdy, but if you were careful with it, it seems like it would work.

Popular Posts