The Little Things - Historic Suffolk, VA Cedar Hill Cemetery (in Macro Mode)


On my little excursion geocaching and taking pictures in Suffolk, we dropped by Cedar Hill Cemetery.

When we first arrived in Suffolk, VA, I assumed this was a tiny little cemetery since we had driven almost all the way around in a very short period of time.  I was wrong.


Not only is this a very large, and beautiful landscape to take photos and observe history, it's even larger when you use "Macro" on your camera.

I got some really interesting pictures with our Canon EOS 20d and my little PowerShot SD790 IS.

I like close up shots, and this was a bright, clear day.  A great day to capture the little things I find awesome.


  

There were a lot of small, strange things in this cemetery I didn't understand, like...

This is a little wrought-iron flower, just sticking out from the side of some Marble.  Now, I'm not too familiar with cemeteries or funeral practices, but I couldn't figure out what this was for...


There are many sections in this cemetery devoted to Confederate soldiers, and early America.  This "Stump" was near the Confederate Soldiers.  The weird thing is....It's not a stump.  Its actually some sort of sculpture, or statue.  I couldn't find an inscription or any info on it (it was getting dark).  But it was very odd that something so unusual would be here...  It's very worn, and one of the "Tree" sections looks like it was damaged a while back.

But, there were also a lot of beautiful things....  Here's two of my favorite pictures:


   The detail on some of these old graves is incredible, and it's even more amazing that it's in such wonderful condition considering the age and exposure to the elements.



This little lamb is very deetailed, and very ornate.  While I do find it rather unsettling (I'll save that for another post), the fact it's stood over protecting this gentle, young soul for so long is beautiful.  It's about 100 yrs old, weathered, but not broken.  Breath taking.  And tiny, :).

I'll post more on some random amusing things I ran into at the Cemetery later....For now, go swing out to Suffolk, and take some photos.  But take heed:


Thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular Posts