Yummy Goodness from Black Mountain!


On my mini-vacation, many fruits grow wild near the place I was staying. It was so novel that I could literally wake up, throw on some clothes, walk a few yards, and go pick Breakfast. Yum-Yum-Yum.

During the warmer months, a fruit for each season grows rampant here. 2 kinds of Apples, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, something called Loganberries, Pears, Plums, Black Walnuts,
and Raspberries, creep in from the beautiful rustic foothills and onto the edges of people's backyards and driveways. It's awesome. Couple that with the gardens people naturally grow in this area, and you can have your own mini-orchard or farm!

Toward the end of June/early July, Raspberries are in season, so most of my pictures are of Raspberries. I've never seen Raspberries, only Blackberries where I am from. So I went a little silly taking as many pictures as I could. Here, check them out!



So, I picked a bunch of Raspberries, and froze them. I've got enough to add to my cereal and yogurt for about a week. Plus, they are so fresh, that it's like I just came home from the organic market with nicely chilled luxury fruit, minus all the guilt of paying $6.99 for a pint of Raspberries grown by a bunch of smelly hippies.

When I go down there again, I'm gonna look into what it would take to make jam, or preserves. From what I know, it takes a whole lot of fruit to make preserves, and I doubt I could pick 2 lbs of fruit just to make a tiny jar of jelly, but that would be so awesome. But for now, my new healthy breakfast and really cool photos will do.

Comments

Popular Posts