The Challenges of Winter

It's odd, I only manage to figure out the difficult things in small spurts, but as it's winter, and cold, one of the few things I've been able to get my sluggish self to work on is Knitting.

I started crocheting years and years ago, and only started getting serious about it about 2 and a half years ago.

My primary goal way, way back then, was to learn to make two things:

1. A sweater that fit me just the right way, didn't itch, and didn't look like a bumpy, mis-shapen burlap sack.

2. Socks. I've always wanted a pair of handmade socks. Just a pair of real, traditional, wool socks.

Well, when I decided to dive into Fiber Arts/Needlework, I picked up a cheap pair of knitting needles, and a size H crochet hook.

The intimidation of using two pointy objects, as opposed to one, led me to learn to crochet, and become obsessed with it. I still wanted to learn to knit, but was too scared, and had no-one to help me.

I let go of the fear this year, starting simply with washclothes, a dog bed, and NO SCARVES.

Well, I am proud to show you my Winter Goals for 2009/2010:



Socks! On Magic Loop! I've finally started my first pair of Knit Socks, via Magic Loop. I'm getting tons of help from my friends Liz and Deva, and I can't wait. Thank Liz so much for the beautiful Araucania Ranco Multi sock yarn. It's durable, and my favorite blends of greens and browns without the "Jungle Camo" effect.

These are a basic 2x2 rib all the way down, and then I get to learn about turning, and hopefully, I can get fast enough so that I don't have to constantly go over to Liz for day long sessions of me messing up, and having to cast on again. I'm gonna use some online tutorials to see if I can get some "Extra Credit" in this learning pursuit, lol!

Magic Loop is so difficult for me, I think part of the issue is when I go to pull the second needle forward, something is happening where I twist the needle cable. But now that I know the basic stitches and motions for knitting, I am DETERMINED to learn and accomplish a long dreamed of goal, my own, handmade, awesome socks!



A sweater fit for me!

I have two knitting books, and one knitting magazine at home. One of the book's is Debbie Stoller's S&B .

It's a good book I like books' mixed with conversation and education, though, I had a horrible time wrapping my head around some of the basic concepts. It's got a couple of decent patterns in it, but I wanted a book that had patterns of things I would actually wear. That's why I bought Fitted Knits, by Stephanie Japel. Everything in this book looks like something I could eventually knit sometime soon, without years and years of struggling like I did with crochet. And unlike most books, there is a whole 4-6 items I would actually wear from this book. I think I like the directions too. Though it's not the book for someone trying to learn to knit, it is THE BOOK for someone who knows the basics, or knows where to learn some of the basics, and wants to make something other than a scarf or a boxy, ill-fitting sweater.

There are two sweaters in this book I want to make, and I'm starting with the Textured Tunic because it's the one I have needles and yarn for. The yarn I am currently using is Moda Dea Vision, which, from news on the internet, may be getting discontinued. Thank god I got it for a ridiculous, unimaginable price (so clever of a shopper). I had originally planned to make the Textured Cardi, but I've found that unless a pattern is interesting, and written beyond perfect, I am quick to abandon any worsted weight crochet pattern that calls for more than 500 yards (my "boredom line"). The Textured Cardi I was making was bulky, heavy, and just didn't seem nicely stitched. The Textured Tunic I am knitting is loose, primitive yet luxurious looking, and I'm not throwing yarn across the house in anger (yet). So, wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts